The State Board of Regents has canceled all but the four federally-mandated Regents exams for the 2020-2021 school year – English Language Arts, Algebra I, Earth Science and Living Environment. Additionally, the Regents exams will NOT be a graduation requirement for this year; students must simply pass their courses to graduate.
This also applies to non-seniors as any student enrolled in a course that culminates in a Regents exam will receive an exemption based solely on passing the class. Please note that this includes the four Regents exams that are scheduled and required by the Federal government.
Students enrolled in virtual learning will not be compelled to take any Regents exams. All-virtual students will automatically receive an “Exempt” on all Regents courses they are taking, provided that they pass the class.
To summarize and recap, the New York State Education Department (NYSED) applied for a testing waiver, which was denied by the U.S. Department of Education. As a result of this waiver denial, NYSED has announced the following changes for this year’s slate of Regents exams:
- Regents examinations required under the federal Every Student Succeeds Act or ESSA (English Language Arts, Algebra I, Earth Science and Living Environment) will be administered during the month of June 2021. (Again, passing or taking the exams are not required; only passing the course is required to receive credit).
- The August 2021 Regents exams have been canceled.
Additionally, the following applies for students who attempt the Regents exams:
- Students’ actual exam grades will post on their official records;
- Students are not required to pass the exam to meet the graduation requirement;
- NYSED cannot confirm that a student’s performance on an exam won’t negatively impact their transcript, particularly when it comes to post-secondary institutions.
Please click here for a FAQ on the Regents exams.
- Paca Middle School
- WF High School
- WF Middle School