JOHN S. HOBART ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TITLE I – SCHOOL POLICY STATEMENT 2023 – 2024
At John S. Hobart Elementary School, the staff, parents and community work together toward one common goal: student academic and social growth. We believe that the home is every child’s first learning experience and parents are the child’s first and permanent teachers.
We provide a multitude of opportunities for parents to become involved in the decision-making process in our school. Specifically, our parents are invited to participate on our Parent Engagement Committee and Parent Teacher Organization. Through participation in these groups, parents are afforded a voice in the decisions and programs that account for their children’s academic and social development. Research has shown that children do best when parents are enabled to play four key roles: as teachers, as advisors, as advocates and as decision makers. It is our goal to foster and promote these roles for the parents of our students.
Listed below are several ways that we will continue to foster the home school connection and maximize student achievement:
• Attempts will be made to offer parents a flexible and accommodating schedule to meet with school personnel to be informed of Title I services made available for their child. These meetings will be offered in the morning as well as the evening to accommodate parent work schedules.
• Faculty and staff will be educated in the value and utility of contributions by parents, and in how to reach out to, communicate with, and work with parents as equal partners.
• A parent invitation will be forwarded to respective Title I parents inviting them to participate in a variety of Title I programs. These programs will be chaired by building level instructional staff and focus on enhancing student achievement.
• The school accepts responsibility to do the best to educate all students; most specifically Title I students with a Standards Based Curriculum that is meaningful and engaging in content to support instructional objectives that promote high achievement on both state and local assessments.
• Parents will be invited to attend meetings with their child’s teacher as well as the Instructional Support Team, when needed, regarding their child’s academic progress.
• Parents will be provided with parent – student workshops with a focus on Literacy and Mathematics skills needed to achieve mastery levels on state and local assessments. In addition, we will align this information with the Common Core Standards.
• Parents of incoming Kindergarten students are invited to attend a parent orientation meeting where they are provided with an overview of the Kindergarten educational programs.
• Alignment and communication with our Universal Pre-K program will insure a smooth transition for incoming kindergarten students. • Parents will be informed of Title I programs, meetings and various activities through information provided on the district wide web page and informative mailings.
• Parents will be offered the opportunity to voice complaints directly to the building Principal followed by meeting with a designee of the Superintendent of Schools or the Title I Coordinator.
• Parents will be offered the opportunity to attend a yearly meeting to explain the rights embedded in this document.
• The school will offer flexibility within the scheduling of parent meetings. In addition, the school will make attempts to assist parents in attending these meetings by providing activities for their children to participate in during the meetings and assist in identifying transportation methods to attend meetings when necessary.
At John S. Hobart Elementary School, greater family involvement in children’s learning is a critical link to achieving a high-quality education and a safe, disciplined learning environment for every student. In forging this home school connection, it is our goal to maximize student achievement and success.