GRADUATION: SATURDAY, JUNE 24, 2023 at 9:30 AM
CHECKLIST & GUIDELINES
Graduation Meeting: Tuesday, May 23, 2023, in the high school auditorium during English class.
Graduation Requirements: Graduates must meet all of the academic requirements as set forth by the State of New York and the Board of Education of the William Floyd School District.
Graduation Rehearsal: Thursday, June 22, 2023, 10:00 am. All graduates must attend and remain for the entire rehearsal. Girls are to report to the west gym at 10:00 a.m. Boys are to report to the east gym at 10:00 a.m. Students must provide their own transportation to and from this activity. There will be no bus transportation. In case of inclement weather on the day of the scheduled rehearsal, the rehearsal will take place the next day on Friday, June 23 at 9:00 a.m. (rain or shine) at which time students will receive their caps and gowns and rehearsal will occur. All students should enter through the south lobby of the high school.
Caps and Gowns: Caps and gowns will be distributed at graduation rehearsal to all graduating seniors who ordered them. Students must wear a cap and gown to participate in the graduation ceremony.
Fines and Graduation Survey: Students who owe money for lost or damaged textbooks, library books, NJROTC uniforms or equipment, will need to make payment prior to June 21. The Graduation Surveys must be on file in the guidance office by May 31.
Graduation Ceremony: 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, June 24, 2023
- Graduates must arrive by 8:15 a.m. Rain dates: Sunday, June 25, 10:00 a.m. (graduates arrive at 8:45 a.m.), Monday, June 26th, 5:00 p.m. (graduates arrive at 3:45 p.m.) If inclement weather continues graduation will be held at 5:00 p.m. on the next day, Tuesday, June 27. Cancellations will be announced similar to snow cancellations via phone call and a posting on the district website and social media outlets.
- Girls - dress or dress slacks, and flat shoes are recommended.
- Boys - shirt, tie, dress slacks, and dress shoes are recommended.
Proper attire is a must! No jeans, no shorts, no t-shirts and no sneakers please. No items may be taken to the graduation ceremony. Please leave valuables at home. There will be no re-entry into the building after the ceremony. It is recommended that you press your gowns and carry them to graduation in order to prevent wrinkling. Students will be asked to put on their caps and gowns just prior to lining up for the procession to the field.
- The goal: make the ceremony a memorable, personal, and dignified event.
- Students are expected to behave appropriately. Students who misbehave, do not follow the graduation guidelines or directions of teacher chaperones, or are deemed unfit to participate will be removed from the ceremony.
- Please refrain from yelling and whistling. Applause is appropriate, appreciated, and expected.
- Do not toss caps. It may cause injury to another graduate and the cap and tassel may be lost.
- Female students will meet in the west gym for both graduation rehearsal and graduation ceremony. Male students will meet inthe east gym for both graduation rehearsal and graduation ceremony.
- Students must report to their assigned locations at 8:15 a.m. on Saturday, June 24. Please be on time. Once in the gym, stay inthe gym. Do not bring bookbags, pocketbooks, cameras, or any other material. There will be no re-entry into the building after the ceremony.
- The ceremony starts at 9:30 a.m. Line up will be at 8:50 a.m.
- Rain dates:
Sunday, June 25th
- Girls report to west gym, boys report to east gym at 8:45 a.m.
- Ceremony starts at 10:00 a.m.
- Line up at 9:20 a.m.
Monday, June 26th
- Girls report to West Gym, boys report to East Gym at 3:45 p.m.
- Ceremony starts at 5:00 p.m.
- Line up at 4:20 p.m.
If inclement weather continues, graduation will be held at 5:00 p.m. on the next day, June 27th.
- Students and spectators should park in the parking lot on the south side of the high school.
- Shuttle bus service will be available to transport spectators to the athletic field.
Student Name Cards: (Used to announce students names at graduation)
- Names will be reviewed with chaperones at graduation rehearsal.
- Name cards will be distributed at graduation to be taken to the ceremony by the graduate.
- Check your name for spelling, accuracy, and completeness.
- Review the correct pronunciation with the teacher chaperone assigned to your location.
Processional and Recessional:
- Girls will report to the west gym at the graduation rehearsal where they will be lined up in rows of four, sixteen total.
- Boys will report to the east gym at the graduation rehearsal where they will be lined up in rows of four, sixteen total.
- The graduation procession will form from these two locations.
- Pay particular attention to the direction of the line and remain with the group.
- The line of march will move together. The procession will exit from the back of the business wing and continue to the athletic field behind the high school.
- Graduate seating will be reviewed with students at the graduation meeting on May 23 and again at the graduation rehearsal on June 22.
- Introduction of graduates will be reviewed with students at the graduation meeting on May 23 and at the graduation rehearsal on June 22.
- The recessional will be reviewed with students at the graduation meeting on May 23 and again at the graduation rehearsal on June 22. Once the ceremony is concluded, students will be dismissed from the field. No one will be permitted to enter the building after the ceremony.
Diplomas and Diploma Covers:
Students will receive their diploma covers during the graduation ceremony. Actual diplomas will be distributed to the graduates through the counseling center at a later date (to be determined).
- Lists of all senior members of our honor societies will also be posted at the May 23 meetings to make certain all senior members are included.
- Programs for graduates and spectators will be available at the ceremony.
Pictures and Videos:
- Pictures should be taken before and/or after the ceremony.
NO SPECTATOR IS PERMITTED INSIDE THE FENCED AREA.
- Photographs of students will be taken during the ceremony and will be made available for free download via the district’s website.
Due to the size of the graduating class, please allow approximately three to five days for photos to be posted.
OTHER IMPORTANT DATES:
- Academic Awards Night: Wednesday, May 31, 7:00 p.m. in the high school auditorium.
- Senior Scholarship Night: Wednesday, June 7, 7:00 p.m. in the high school auditorium.
- Senior Prom: Friday, June 9, 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. at Villa Lombardi’s, 877 Main Street, Holbrook - Prom Tickets are $125 per person.
- Graduation Rehearsal: Thursday, June 22, 10:00 a.m. Girls report to west gym at 10:00 a.m. Boys report to east gym at 10:00 a.m. Attendance for graduation rehearsal is mandatory.
* Please be advised students need to provide their own transportation to and from home from the rehearsal; buses will not be provided.
- Floyd Academy
- WF High School