The New York State mask mandate to have masks in schools is back in effect after an appellate division judge temporarily suspended or stayed, a previous decision ruling it unconstitutional due to the way it was instituted. As a result of this appellate court ruling, the mask mandate is back in effect for students and staff beginning on Wednesday, January 26.
Student Support Services
Welcome to the Student Support Services website page for the William Floyd School District. Through the use of this website we will share information with our families, students, teachers and members of our community. The WFSD is aware that our families may need services that extend beyond the instructional and building base supports that the school district can offer. We hope this page serves as a helpful resource to what our schools and community can offer.
What is the role of the school based Social Worker?
The William Floyd School District recognizes that the economic, educational, and social challenges that our families face has increased over the years. In response to these needs the WFSD is responding with a limited scope of service provided by our school based social workers. In order for our social workers to meet the needs of our children they will::
- Function as a link between home, school, and community to promote the educational success of our children.
- Intervene when there is a social, family, or economic challenge, which impacts the learning process of our students.
In addition, our social workers (often in conjunction with community based supports) will strengthen the students’ learning opportunities, achievements, and social-emotional functioning to support the student’s educational success by providing the following services:
- Assisting families with identifying community services and resources.
- Providing school based services to students who have problems adjusting to the instructional school day and its demands.
- Facilitating individual and group support sessions.
- Consulting with teachers, administrators, and families regarding classroom and school based behaviors that are affecting our student’s performance.
- Acting as mandated reporters of suspected child abuse and neglect.
- Responding to suicidal statements made by students.
What is a School Psychologist?
The William Floyd School District (WFSD) is aware that in order for some of our children to succeed they will need academic, social, behavioral, and emotional support. The WFSD is aware that there are times that individual interventions are necessary. Our district wide School Psychologists take this responsibility and collaborate with educators, parents, and other professionals to create safe, healthy, and supportive learning environments that strengthen connections between home, school, and the community for all students. Our School Psychologists are committed to:
- Providing counseling and mentoring for students who are struggling with social, emotional, and behavioral problems.
- Creating instructional plans that increase student achievement by overcoming barriers to learning and determining the best instructional strategies to improve learning.
- Promoting wellness and resilience by reinforcing communication and social skills, problem solving, anger management, self-regulation and self-determination skills.
- Enhancing the student’s understanding and acceptance of diverse cultures and backgrounds as well as an understanding of self.
The WFSD utilizes its School Psychologist to ensure that we are accurately meeting the needs of our children by:
- Identifying and addressing learning and behavior deficits that interfere with the student’s academic success.
- Evaluate eligibility for special education services in conjunction with the buildings Instructional Support Team.
- Evaluating and supporting a students’ social, emotional, and behavioral health as it relates to academic success.
Director of Student Information and Secondary Education
Al Peterson (631) 874-1116
District Wide Homeless Liaison
Emilie Larson 631-874-1889
District Wide Attendance Social Worker
Tasharni Harris 631- 874- 1629
If you prefer to communicate or receive notices in your native language please email email@example.com
Student Support Services Resources
McKinney-Vento Assistance Act
The charts included will reflect the number of daily positive COVID-19 cases for the William Floyd School District. These charts will be updated on a daily basis when school is in session; the same figures are available at the NYS COVID Report Card link.