The charts included will reflect the number of daily positive COVID-19 cases for the William Floyd School District. These charts will be updated on a daily basis when school is in session until the New York State COVID-19 Report Card is operational. Once it becomes operational, the same figures will be available at the NYS COVID Report Card link.
The William Floyd School District is committed to providing 854 students with English as New Language Services.
Our English as a New Language (ENL) program is designed to meet the needs of our students as they progress from an entering (beginner) to a commanding (Proficient) English speaker. Students enrolled in ENL courses must take the New York State English as a New Language Achievement Test (NYSESLAT) each year until proficiency is achieved. Upon achieving proficiency, our ENL students continue to receive support for two years.
Our ENL programs enable students to become familiar with their school and classroom environments while maintaining pride in their native culture. The district is also committed to provide on-going supports to families, teachers and students who take part in and support our ENL programs and services.
What remote learning supports are available for students and families in temporary housing who are English Language Learnings/Multilingual Learners?
- Using Google Products
- Videos about using Google Classroom: New York State Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (NYS TESOL) has created home language tutorial videos for families and students on how to navigate Google Classroom in the following 10 languages: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, French, Haitian Creole, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Urdu. It is free and open to all.
- Spanish video: Como Usar Google Classroom
- Guides to setting up Google Classroom: English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Bengali, Russian, and Arabic
- Uploading Homework in Google Classroom, Spanish video: Como Enviar Tareas En Google Classroom
- Google Translate
- Using Google Meet, Spanish video: Como Usar Google Meet
- NYS Statewide Language Regional Bilingual Education Resource Network (RBERN) at NYU has many resources for parents, students, and educators
- Resource Collection for English Language Learners (ELLs) and World Language Students from NYSED’s Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages (OBEWL) has resources for students, parents, and educators.
Fifteen William High School student scholars were recently honored for their academic excellence at the eighth annual Town of Brookhaven Hispanic Heritage Month celebration sponsored by the town's Hispanic Advisory Board. The students, selected for maintaining a stellar grade point average of 95 or higher, had the opportunity to come together to be recognized, celebrate their achievements and enjoy an evening of Hispanic culture along with peers from nearby Brookhaven school districts.