Theresa Bianco, William Floyd High School art teacher and chairperson of the Fine Arts, William Floyd School District, was recently selected as the New York State Art Teachers Association (NYSATA) Region 10 (Suffolk County) Art Educator of the Year! Mrs. Bianco was selected for this prestigious honor for demonstrating commitment and dedication to the field of art education, and to NYSATA, and for practicing exemplary teaching, strong advocacy and for making a positive impact on those around her in her school, district, region and state.
BILINGUAL SUMMER LITERACY PROJECT
Haga clic en el enlace a continuación para ver una presentación de lectura de verano creada por nuestros maestros bilingües. Este es un recurso maravilloso para ayudar a involucrar a sus hijos en actividades de lectura durante el verano. Disfrute de estas lecciones y de la información de la biblioteca comunitaria.
The William Floyd School District is committed to providing 854 students with English as New Language Services.
Our English as a New Language (ENL) program is designed to meet the needs of our students as they progress from an entering (beginner) to a commanding (Proficient) English speaker. Students enrolled in ENL courses must take the New York State English as a New Language Achievement Test (NYSESLAT) each year until proficiency is achieved. Upon achieving proficiency, our ENL students continue to receive support for two years.
Our ENL programs enable students to become familiar with their school and classroom environments while maintaining pride in their native culture. The district is also committed to provide on-going supports to families, teachers and students who take part in and support our ENL programs and services.
What remote learning supports are available for students and families in temporary housing who are English Language Learnings/Multilingual Learners?
- Using Google Products
- Videos about using Google Classroom: New York State Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (NYS TESOL) has created home language tutorial videos for families and students on how to navigate Google Classroom in the following 10 languages: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, French, Haitian Creole, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Urdu. It is free and open to all.
- Spanish video: Como Usar Google Classroom
- Guides to setting up Google Classroom: English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Bengali, Russian, and Arabic
- Uploading Homework in Google Classroom, Spanish video: Como Enviar Tareas En Google Classroom
- Google Translate
- Using Google Meet, Spanish video: Como Usar Google Meet
- NYS Statewide Language Regional Bilingual Education Resource Network (RBERN) at NYU has many resources for parents, students, and educators
- Resource Collection for English Language Learners (ELLs) and World Language Students from NYSED’s Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages (OBEWL) has resources for students, parents, and educators.
The Floyd Academy recently raised $300 in a “Movember” fundraiser, an effort designed to support and bring awareness to men’s physical and mental health issues. To reach this goal, students in Ms. Marie Martin’s Introduction to Cooking class baked gingerbread and mustache-shaped cookies for purchase. Additionally, students, through weekly lessons, learned about topics related to men’s health including suicide prevention, prostate and testicular cancers. They culminated this effort with a pickleball tournament!