On Saturday, June 25, William Floyd High School held its 63rd commencement ceremony to celebrate the nearly 700 students who completed the requirements for graduation and became William Floyd's newest alumni!
The William Floyd School District is committed to providing 854 students with English as New Language Services.
Our English as a New Language (ENL) program is designed to meet the needs of our students as they progress from an entering (beginner) to a commanding (Proficient) English speaker. Students enrolled in ENL courses must take the New York State English as a New Language Achievement Test (NYSESLAT) each year until proficiency is achieved. Upon achieving proficiency, our ENL students continue to receive support for two years.
Our ENL programs enable students to become familiar with their school and classroom environments while maintaining pride in their native culture. The district is also committed to provide on-going supports to families, teachers and students who take part in and support our ENL programs and services.
What remote learning supports are available for students and families in temporary housing who are English Language Learnings/Multilingual Learners?
- Using Google Products
- Videos about using Google Classroom: New York State Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (NYS TESOL) has created home language tutorial videos for families and students on how to navigate Google Classroom in the following 10 languages: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, French, Haitian Creole, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Urdu. It is free and open to all.
- Spanish video: Como Usar Google Classroom
- Guides to setting up Google Classroom: English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Bengali, Russian, and Arabic
- Uploading Homework in Google Classroom, Spanish video: Como Enviar Tareas En Google Classroom
- Google Translate
- Using Google Meet, Spanish video: Como Usar Google Meet
- NYS Statewide Language Regional Bilingual Education Resource Network (RBERN) at NYU has many resources for parents, students, and educators
- Resource Collection for English Language Learners (ELLs) and World Language Students from NYSED’s Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages (OBEWL) has resources for students, parents, and educators.
The William Floyd High School Class of 1972 offers words of wisdom to the Class of 2022.