Next Generation Standards
In our efforts to work together as a team for the better of our students, this portion of the website has been dedicated to providing support for parents to assist their child during the transition to the NYS Next Generation Learning Standards.
- NYS Next Generation Learning Standards At a Glance
- NYS Next Generation Learning Standards Roadmap, Overview & FAQ
- NYS Next Generation Learning Standards Fact Sheet
- Lifelong Practices of Readers and Writers
- ELA Learning Standard Crosswalks
- Mathematics Learning Standards Crosswalks
- NYSED Blueprint for Improved Results for Students with Disabilities
- NYSED Blueprint for English Language Learner Success
The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) provides New York State with an opportunity to leverage significant federal resources in support of New York State’s commitment to providing equity, access, and opportunity for all students.
Eight Topic Briefs
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is pleased to present to you a series of eight topic briefs produced for NYSED by Nonie K. Lesaux, PhD from Harvard University & Emily Phillips Galloway, EdD from Vanderbilt University. These briefs are designed to aid New York State educators in implementing the NYS Next Generation Learning Standards; complement and support the Next Generation Standards and related documents; offer an expansion and deeper explanation of concepts embedded in the Standards, Introduction, and Preface; and provide additional guidance to the field particularly in settings serving linguistically diverse learners.
- A Series of Topic Briefs Produced for the New York State Education Department
- Topic Brief One: Advanced Literacies for Academic Success
- Topic Brief Two: What Goes Into Effective Reading Comprehension
- Topic Brief Three: Hallmark One of Advanced Literacies Instruction: Engaging, Content-rich Texts
- Topic Brief Four: Hallmark Two of Advanced Literacies Instruction: Classroom Discussion
- Topic Brief Five: Hallmark Three of Advanced Literacies Instruction: Building Written Language
- Topic Brief Six: Hallmark Four of Advanced Literacies Instruction: Academic Vocabulary and Language
- Topic Brief Seven: Advanced Literacies Instruction: Spotlight on Interactive Units of Study
- Topic Brief Eight: Spotlight on Language Production Projects