Tangier Smith Elementary
School day: 9:05 am – 3:05 pm
Before-school childcare drop-off beginning at 8:05 am/after-school childcare pick-up ending 4:05 pm
Please note that the Hounslow Road Gate will be open throughout until buses are running to assist with ingress and egress of cars.
As many of you are aware, the district found itself having to switch bus companies before the start of this coming school year. This change has unfortunately led to a temporary disruption in service. There will be NO large buses until Monday, September 17. Please listen carefully for the Tangier Smith arrival and dismissal procedures.
VERY IMPORTANT – if you are carpooling and someone else other than the child’s parent is picking them up from school, you must send a note in or email a pick-up note to your child’s teacher that includes your child’s name and the name of the adult that is picking them up.
You can access teacher’s email addresses on the Tangier Smith website (typically first initial, last name @wfsd.k12.ny.us; example: John Public, firstname.lastname@example.org). No child will be released without a note. If you are picking up any child, please be sure to have picture ID. No child will be released to an adult without picture ID.
- Students can be dropped off as early as 8:05am, school begins at 9:05am.
- You can use the front of the school, bus loop, to drop off your children – Children will enter through: 1. Front lobby 2- Pods 1 and 2 on the side of the building by Paca MS, or 3. Through the Pod 3 doors located in the side parking lot, near the fields.
Our caring faculty, staff and Security will be at all locations to assist
All 3 locations will be a drop and go to reduce traffic congestion. This means parents will not be able to get out of their car to walk their children into the school. If you need to escort your Kindergarten child into the school, you will need to park in the parking lot.
- As for dismissal/student pick up, we will use multiple pick up times based on grade level to reduce congestion and avoid parking issues. If you have children in multiple grades you can choose any time to pick up your children. If you are looking to avoid the congestion and would like to sign your children out, we will have students available as early as:
Grades: K-1 – 2:30
Grades: 2-3 – 2:45
Grades: 4-5 – 3:00
UPK PM parents: If you would like to pick up your Tangier student when you pick up your UPK student please provide us with a note and we will have them ready for you.
PACA parents: After you pick up your Paca student, if you would like, you can pick up your Tangier student. Please send up a note and we will have them ready for you.
- You will need to park, come to the front of the school and sign your child out at their designated sign-out locations, which will be posted on the sidewalks. Sign-out tables will be set up and your child will be brought out to you. When you walk up to the front of the building Kindergartners and their siblings will be in the classrooms on the left, 1st and 2nd grade students and their older siblings will be in the classrooms on the right, and 3rd, 4th and 5th grade students, with no primary siblings, will be in the cafeteria.
- If you are unable to pick up your child at regular dismissal time, 3:05, we will have staff available to watch your child until 4:05.
We appreciate your cooperation to help get our nearly 750 students into and out of the building as safely and as efficiently as possible. Please note that we understand children may be late to school, and lateness due to this bus situation will not negatively impact your child. We assure you your child will still enjoy a memorable school year with us.
These directions will also be posted on the district web site and PTO Facebook page. Please call Tangier Smith at 631-874-1342 if you have any questions.