Updated information as of 9/6/18:
Thank you all for your patience as we navigate through the next few days.
School day: 9:05 am – 3:05 pm
Before-school childcare drop-off beginning at 8:05 am/after-school childcare pick-up ending 4:05 pm
As many of you are aware, the District found itself having to switch bus companies and there has been a temporary disruption of services. There will be NO large buses until Monday, September 17. Therefore, please listen carefully for the Moriches Elementary School arrival and dismissal procedures. Our top priority is safety for all. The following plan outlines the steps we will be taking to ensure that all of our students enter and exit the building safely and efficiently in the absence of our big buses.
Please note the following:
- Students can be dropped off as early as 8:05am and school begins at 9:05am. You can use 1 of 2 locations to drop off your children.
- Students can be dropped at the gate at the top of the bus loop near the small playground closest to the building. The children will be escorted into the building through the breezeway of the closest pod. This way you can avoid having to drive through the bus loop and can use Louis Ave. to exit the school area quickly.
- Students can also enter the building through the front entrance to the main lobby.
- Our caring staff and security will be outside to assist all of the children entering the building.
- Both locations will be a “drop and go” to reduce traffic congestion. This means parents will not be able to get out of their car to walk their children into the school. If you need to escort your child into the school, you must park in the parking lot and walk them in.
- As for dismissal and student pick up, we will be offering the option of tiered pick up times based on grade levels to reduce congestion and avoid parking issues. Parents can begin picking their children up at 2:30pm. Kindergarten and first grade parents can come at 2:30pm and then 2nd-3rd grade parents starting at 2:45pm and 4th-5th grade parents starting at 3:00pm. All siblings will be together in the youngest child’s grade level pickup location to make it easier for you.
- You will need to park and follow the signs for student pickup. Each grade level has a different location for pickup. Each location will be clearly labeled. We are not allowing parents inside the building and students will be dismissed from the designated area with the assigned staff.
- We have decided to revamp the pickup locations. For kindergarten we will have two classes together in three classrooms instead of all six coming from one pickup location. For 2nd/3rd and 4th/5th, we will be directing parents to each classroom outside each teacher’s pod door for pickup rather than having the entire two grade levels dismiss at one location.
- Kindergarten: Each area will be labeled outside Pod 2
Aiello and Connolly/Kravitz: Outside Room 9
Churilla and Jonaitis: Outside Room 11
- Petersen and Maher: Outside Room 12
- First Grade: Please enter the building to the lobby and students will be dismissed from the cafeteria
- Second and Third Grade: Outside classroom doors in Pod 1
- Fourth and Fifth Grade: Outside classroom doors in Pod 4
We will make sure there is appropriate signage outside each door as well. Please make sure to follow the classroom assignments below.
- Brown —-> Duda/Haight, outside room 6
- Dunbar —-> M. Hinz, outside room 3
- Foster —-> N. Meltcher, outside room 8
- Megna —-> L. Mastronardi, outside room 7
- Miller —-> K. Dobbeck, outside room 2
- Weldon —-> M. Griffith, outside room 4
Conklin/Olivo —-> K. Scala, outside room 28
Gleason —-> Pantke/Acker, outside room 29
Ranieri —->Pantke/Acker, outside room 30
M.Lalonde —-> M. Gunderson, outside room 27
McCue —-> S. Johnson, outside room 32
Short —-> D. Megna, outside room 31
- If you are unable to pick up your child at regular dismissal time which is 3:05pm, we will have staff available to watch your child until 4:05pm.
- After 3:20pm, all students will be signed out of the front lobby. Please enter the building through the front entrance from 3:20pm on.
- If your child attends Colonial Youth, they will be escorted to Moriches Elementary School at 9:05am and back to the Colonial Building at 3:05pm at the end of the day. We will be making an announcement for all students who attend Colonial to gather in the gym at the end of the day.
VERY IMPORTANT – if you are carpooling and someone else other than a parent or guardian is picking your child up from school, you must send a written note or email to your child’s teacher that includes your child’s name and the name of the adult that is picking them up. You can access teacher’s email addresses on the William Floyd website. No child will be released to an alternate adult other than a parent or guardian without a note. If you are picking up any child, please be sure to have picture ID. No child will be released to an adult without picture ID.
We appreciate your cooperation to help get over 850 students into and out of the building as safely and efficiently as possible. Please note that we understand children may be late to school, and lateness due to this bus situation will not negatively impact your child. We assure you your child will still enjoy a memorable school year with us.
Please call Moriches Elementary School at 631-874-1398 if you have any questions.