Dear Parents, changes that have been made to the New York State Public Health Law that may affect your child.
Effective July 1, 2018, the mandated years for health exams and screenings will change.
- Health examinations will be required in grades Pre K (if student attended in one of our buildings) or Kindergarten, and grades 1,3,5,7,9 and 11.
- Vision screening for distance and near vision acuity will be required within 6 months of admission to school and in
Grades Pre K or K, 1,3,5,7 and 11
- Hearing screening will be required within 6 months of admission to school and in Grades Pre K or K, 1,3,5,7 and 11
- Scoliosis screening will be required in grades 5 and 7 for girls and grade 9 for boys.
- All health appraisals (including sport physicals) must be submitted on the New York State-approved form.
As in the past, the mandatory screenings will be performed in school unless parents opt out and notify the school nurse that the student will have the screenings completed by his/her private health care provider.
As per NYS law, the school physician will perform the mandated physicals on all students who have not submitted a private physical within the first 30 days of school.
Please be aware that these changes are not effective until 7/1/18 and will not be implemented until the 2018-2019 school year.
Please contact your school nurse with any questions or concerns you may have.