The William Floyd School District is pleased to announce the new start times for the 2015-2016 school year, a direct result of the voter approved budget on May 19 which included the change back to a three-tier transportation system and more refined start times for all schools.
The official times are:
- William Floyd High School: 7:20 am – 1:33 pm
- William Floyd Middle School: 8:10 am – 2:23 pm
- William Paca Middle School: 8:10 am – 2:23 pm
- Moriches Elementary School: 8:10 am – 2:10 pm
- William Floyd Elementary School: 8:10 am – 2:10 pm
- John S. Hobart Elementary School: 9:05 am – 3:05 pm
- Nathaniel Woodhull Elementary School: 9:05 am – 3:05 pm
- Tangier Smith Elementary School: 9:05 am – 3:05 pm
The transportation study, completed by Transportation Advisory Services, presented two options – one that closely aligned with the original estimate with an approximate cost of $1.3 million; and another less expensive option, which comes in at a projected cost of approximately $530,000. Next year, New York State will provide 87.1% of the transportation cost back to the district.
In an effort to make the structure of the revised transportation program as operationally efficient and cost-effective as possible to our residents, the Board of Education has decided to go with the less expensive option and reduce the amount of taxes collected, effectively lowering the tax levy rate increase from 1.95% to 1.13%. The difference of $770,000 will not be collected in taxes from local residents.
“We chose the option that would reduce the tax levy while at the same time restructuring the start times for all schools,” said Dr. Paul Casciano, Superintendent of Schools, William Floyd School District. “We thank the residents for their support and look forward to another successful school year.”